Tuesday 2 August 2016

New Beginnings


Hola mis bonitos. I haven't been on here for the longest time but I am BAAACCCKKKK. It has been nearly two months since my exams ended and I can't even express how free I feel. Year 13 was a challenge that no one warned me about or prepared me for but with some encouragement and a lot of praying and perseverance I got there in the end. So now it's on to the next thing -UNIVERSITY!!!

I am really excited about University. Now that may seem like a very obvious statement but alas young ones tis not true. I wasn't excited about University at all before, not even a little bit. It got to exam time and the glitz and glamour of Uni just disappeared. All I could think of was being alone in my room eating baked beans from a tin, listening to Jhene Aiko and it made me really sad (if you haven't realised already I am very dramatic). But this holiday has really helped resurrect the happy ray of sunshine I once was. 

I have been watching tons of YouTube videos about Uni recently from girls that I can relate to (Adessy, ImaniShola, Courtney Daniella, Mikai McDermott) and they have really helped put me at ease. 

I went Uni clothes shopping with the madre a few weeks ago which was surprisingly fun. (I'm not a fan of shopping; those pictures of boyfriends sitting down looking tired in malls are me). I also started a 'My Values at University' list. It's something that an older friend suggested that I do and I have heard many people say 'make sure you stick to your values when you go to Uni' so I saw that as a sign and started writing one. Basically, a 'My values at University' list is a compilation of three things: The person you want to be, what you will do and what you won't do. 

For example I don't drink, I never have done and don't plan to, so that will be on my 'what I won't do' section.  Since I stayed at the same school for seven years, I really want and need to push myself out of my comfort zone (this phrase is so old, I feel like it should be 'propel myself into the pits of discomfort' or something of that nature) so that will be in the 'what I will do' section. You get the gist. 

There are so many stories of people turning into monsters or lost sheep at Uni and I don't want that to be me and I also want to get a degree at the end of it all. So, I have my little list as a reminder of who I am and what I'm about just in case I start getting brave and forget. 

I finally signed up for accommodation a week or so ago after putting it off for a really long time (remember the fear of eating baked beans out of a tin all alone listening to Jhene Aiko. Well, picking the accommodation where that could potentially happen was all types of triggering).  So, everything is feeling a bit more real now and after such a long time I am coming to accept that this is the start of something new and I am so ready. 

I like to be honest about my thoughts and feelings, so although I was ready to leave sixth form, I wasn't looking forward to University so I started doubting my decisions. Knowing a few people who are at Uni means I didn't (and still don't) have a romanticised view of it. The prospect of being surrounded by tons of new people, doing a course that I have never learnt about (Politics and International Relations) made me excited but also really anxious. 

I used to be very comfortable in new environments but I've realised that over the past few years I have become a bit more reserved. So, if you are anything like me and fluctuate between being the life of the party and the silent person in the corner, you may be able to relate with the mixed feelings about Uni. But now I'm focusing on just thinking positively about it and also reminding myself that it will be a huge learning experience. So, all that's left now is RESULTS DAY.

Results day is approaching and I am a mixture of scared, desperate to know where I'm going to Uni and pushing the prospect of the day back to the furthest place in my mind so I can focus on enjoying my summer. 

It's actually been such a journey. I feel like emotionally and mentally Year 13 really tested me and looking back on the few posts I managed to squeeze out I was just teary all the time. But we got through this boos!!! I am so proud of myself and everyone else and I'm excited for a new challenge and experience. Well done to all the IB people who got their results a few weeks ago as well.

P.S. I am planning to write a few more posts: 

1)  Advice for first year: So if you just finished first year or are at Uni now (whatever year you may be), feel free to drop nuggets of wisdom in the comment section below or tweet @iTunu_Speaks

2) I want to write some advice for those of you going to Year 11-13, about exams, choosing subjects, choosing a University and course, writing your personal statement etc. So if you have any questions, write them in the comment section below or tweet @iTunu_Speaks

Vote for me as UCAS blogger of the month here, comment below if you have any questions and remember to SHARE SHARE SHARE. 



Keep Smiling!
Itunu 

No comments:

Post a Comment